I had hoped to pace myself alongside NaNoWriMo this month because I have the first draft of ‘Crossways’ to work on for an August 2014 deadline. So far I’ve written 15,000 words and the prospect of adding between 30,000 and 50,000 words in a month was very attractive, however, I also have my editor’s changes for ‘Empire’ (working title) to complete by December and that’s had to take priority, since it’s the first to be published.
Sheila sat down with me at Worldcon and we brainstormed some possible changes. I’ve been working on it through November. So far I’ve added a total of 30,000 words to incorporate additional worldbuilding and character development. Not all of that was written from scratch, though. It includes some scenes from an earlier draft which I cut to trim the wordcount. The perceived wisdom was not to exceed 120k words for a first (speculative) novel. Luckily, now that it’s sold, DAW is not too worried about final wordcount as long as the words are good ones. (Fingers crossed.)
So if my editor likes this version and doesn’t ask for either cuts or more additions, the final book is likely to be in the region of 150,000 words.
I’m giving it a week and then doing a final read-through for context and continuity before sending it off. I promised it for Christmas and should deliver it before 10th December. That’s a win!